Welcome to my blog! Here you will find a variety of assignments that I have completed for my graduate work at Walden University.
RSS

Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Amazing Race

Today's hot topic is about race. Here are the questions I will be reflecting on-

How do I feel about my racial group? Am I proud? Ambivalent? Do I sometimes wish (or have wished) that I belonged to another group?
For most of my life I have been very content being an average white girl. I have found myself in a couple of situations where I have wanted to be another race. The one most vivid in my mind is when I was going to college. I wasn't able to get many scholarships to attend college, but all of my friends that were "minority" students had their colleges paid for in full. I honestly wished I could have checked any other box on that application form other than the "white" one! I ended up taking out student loans and now owe around 30 thousand dollars. I now can say that I worked hard for my degree and I may not have done as well if I weren't the one paying for it! How do I feel about people from other racial groups? Do I have close friends and neighbors in other racial groups, or is my social network racially homogeneous?
I have grown up with diversity all around me. I can honestly say I don't have different feelings for different races. To me people are people and race just doesn't simply matter to me. I am surrounded by different racial groups and enjoy having the exposure. I am honored to say that my neighbors are all from different ethnic backgrounds and we have great relationships with all of them. I think this is a great place to raise my children. I want them to grow up embracing diversity and being open to differences. I also have several friends and also family members from other racial groups. I have an aunt from the Philippines and also an African American step-father. I feel very privileged to have such a diverse upbringing and to be surrounded by so many races. I know that it has helped to me to be the well-rounded open minded person that I am today. To me every race truly is an amazing race.

0 comments:

Post a Comment