Welcome to my blog! Here you will find a variety of assignments that I have completed for my graduate work at Walden University.
RSS

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Money Isn't Everything

And so my ramblings continue.! Here are the questions I will be addressing today:
What are my assumptions about why some people are affluent and others are poor? Do I think it is fair? Inevitable? I have always been baffled about wealth and how some people have more than others. I do know that I do not look at money as what defines us as "rich" or "poor". I am a middle class citizen but feel that I live a lot better off than some wealthy people. Life is what you make of it and I do feel we hold a lot of power in our own hands. As far as "fair" is concerned I have never really experienced "fair" in any aspect of my life. Fair is a word that doesn't exist and could absolutely drive a person crazy if you dwell on it to long.
Whom or what do I blame for disparities in wealth and opportunity? Poor people? Wealthy people? The system? What do I think needs to be changed? Do I want to be a part of that change? If so, in what ways?
I honestly think that the disparities in wealth in opportunity come from a fear of change. People often break free from what holds them back because they are afraid of the unknown. I am able to look at many of my students and predict what their future will be just based on their home life. I know that they will adopt many of their parents behaviors or bad habits and not try to change their life for the better. Since the first day I began teaching I have always taught my students that you have to strive to live better than your parents. You have want a better life for your self and your children. It is hard for me to get them to understand that but that is how I want to be apart of the change. I want the cycle to stop with the students that I have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment